Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Could you write about use of k ap and also bó. Thanks. SAre you going to post any audio lessons soon? They are great!

Thanks :)
Yes , I will.   I plan to continue uploading audio post by second week of January.  The recordings on my computer has been full of loud staticky noise even though I replaced my headphones.  I finally took care of that :)

K'ap is a contraction for ki ap.
Ki is the relative pronoun that, who, which, whom
Ap is the marker for progressive and / or future tense.

This is the woman who is carrying my baby.
Sa se fanm ki ap pote bebe mwen an. (uncontracted)
Sa se fanm k'ap pote bebe m nan. (contracted)

The girl who's dancing is my girlfriend.
Ti fi ki ap danse a se menaj mwen. (uncontracted)
Ti fi k'ap danse a se menaj mwen. (contracted)

Who is knocking at the door?
Ki moun ki ap frape pòt la? (uncontracted)
Ki moun k'ap frape pòt la? (contracted)

The cup that is leaking is mine.
Gode ki ap koule a se pa m nan. (uncontracted)
Gode k'ap koule a se pa m nan. (contracted)

Bò (with an accent on the "o") means side, place, location, area...
is a synonym for the creole words kote and plas
You could ask the question "where..." by saying "kibò..."

also means near, next to, close to

You could say:

Ki bò ou prale?
Literally:    What location are you going?
meaning:    Where are you going?
You can also ask in Creole:  Ki kote ou prale?

Ki bò ou rete?
literally: What location do you reside?
meaning: Where do you live
You can also ask in Creole:  Ki kote ou rete?

Ki bò ou vle chita?
Literally:  What location do you want to sit?
meaning:  Where do you want to sit?
You can also ask in Creole:  Ki kote ou vle chita?


as next to, near, close to.

Vin chita bò kote m
literally: Come sit near my side.
meaning: Come sit near me.

Li abite bò kote nou.
literally:  She lives near our side.
meaning:  She lives next to us.

Mwen te wè yon chyen bò dlo a.
I saw a puppy by the water.

Li te mete liv li a bò kote liv mwen an.
He placed his book next to my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment