Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

"byen" - It does not always mean well, does it?

Byen (noun) → assets, inheritance, possessions

Mesye sa rich.  Li gen anpil byen.
This man is rich.  He has a lot of wealth (riches, valuables)

Papa m mouri.  Li kite anpil byen pou mwen.
My father died.  He left me a huge inheritance.

Tout byen ou yo p'ap ka ba ou lavi etènèl.
All your wealth can't give you eternal life. 


Byen (verb) → to be friend with, to be on good terms with

Rose ak Filip pa lenmi an ankò.  Yo byen.
Rose and Phillip are no longer enemies.  They're friends.

Mwen konnen moun sa yo.  Mwen byen ak yo.
I know these people.  I'm friends with them.


Byen (adverb) → well, good, going well

Pa enkyete w pou li.  Li byen.
Don't worry about him.  He's fine.

Mwen santi m byen jodi a.
I feel well today.
I'm doing well today.

Ou danse byen.
You dance well.

Ou pale byen.
You speak with knowledge.

Kay la byen bati.
The house is well built.

Pwogram nan te byen òganize.
The show was well organized.

Li byen aji avè m.
She treated me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment