Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, January 23, 2012

I fell asleep. (creole) I have heard different ways to say this.

Haitians will say "fall asleep" many different ways yes :)

Fall asleep → dòmi pati avè (subject), dòmi ale avè (subject), dòmi pran (subject)

I fell asleep.
Dòmi pati avè m.
Dòmi ale avè m.
Dòmi pran m.

We fell asleep.
Dòmi pati avè n
Dòmi ale avè n.
Dòmi pran n.

Don't you fall asleep!
Pa kite dòmi pati avè w!
Pa kite dòmi ale avè w!
Pa kite dòmi pran w!
_______________________

To be sleepy - gen dòmi, gen somèy, or dòmi nan je (subject)

I am sleepy.
Mwen gen dòmi.
Mwen gen somèy.
or
Dòmi nan je m.

Are you sleepy?
Eske ou gen dòmi?
Eske ou gen somèy?
or
Eske dòmi nan je w?

She seems to be sleepy.
Genlè li gen dòmi.
Genlè li gen somèy.
or
Genlè dòmi nan je l.

I'm going to sleep.
Mwen pral dòmi.

I'm going to lie down.
Mwen pral kouche.

I'm going to rest.
Mwen pral repoze.
______________

I was so tired I went to bed early last night.
Mwen te tèlman fatige m t'al kouche bonè yèswa.

He was so tired he fell asleep in the car.
Li te tèlman fatige dòmi pran l nan machin nan.

They were so tired they fell asleep before supper.
Yo te tèlman fatige dòmi pran yo anvan soupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment