Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"unless" Google Translate translates this as "sof si" or "amwens" or "toutotan" but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this. You've said that "si w pa" is the best way, which I understand, but can you help me understand the Google Translate version

Unless
sof si (literally 'save that', 'except if'. It's from the French 'sauf si')
sèl si (literally 'only if')
a mwens or amwenske (literally 'lest', 'except for')
toutotan (as long as)


Some examples with these expressions.


You will not pass the test unless you study.
Ou p'ap pase tès la sof si ou etidye.
Ou pa'p pase tès la sèl si ou etidye.
Ou p'ap pase tès la amwenske ou etidye.

As far as 'toutotan' is concerned, we tend to use it in negative sentences when we mean 'unless'


Unless you apologize, I won't come back to you.
Toutotan ou pa mande eskiz, mwen pap tounen avè w.


Unless you're done, we can't leave.
Toutotan ou pa fini, nou pa ka pati.


"Unless you bless me, I won't let you go."
"Toutotan ou pa beni w, mwen p'ap lage w."


As long as you still here, I'll help you.
Toutotan ou la toujou, m'ap ede w

No comments:

Post a Comment