Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hi, I love your site and what you're doing to make Creole accessible!My question is about Martelly. I heard him speaking Creole In a radio program and I'm wondering how often do HaitianPresidents use it in discourse. Does Martelly speaking Creoleend

Not often, I can tell you that.
Jean Bertrand Aristide did it. That's why he connected with the people.
It's nice to listen to a president's speech, and actually understand what he's saying.
You know the proverb:
Kreyol pale, Kreyol konprann
Creole spoken, Creole understood.
Creole plain and simple.

I remember during the time of Jean-Claude Duvalier, all his speech were made in French. During his public address, even if the Creole-speaking crowds didn't understand one word he said, they would just erupt in cheers, hoping that he didn't just say that he was going to kill them all :)

Are you old enough to remember J.C. Duvalier nasal speeches? 
Mezanmi!  College students used to have a blast imitating his nasal accent. 

You would hear those students at recess:
J.C.D. speaking French to the people: I'm gonna kill you all!
Creole-speaking crowd: Yay!!!!!!
J.C.D. speaking French to the people: I don't like you!!!!!
Creole-speaking crowd: Yes!  Yes!  Thank You!!!!!!!

Lord knows! only about 5% of the people knew what he was really talking about.

Gwo kout chapo to all the Haitian presidents who make it their mission to connect with the people!

No comments:

Post a Comment