Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, August 19, 2013

Mandaly, you know "M se (yon) Kreyol Lwizyan." Is one able to put in "yon" in this sentence, or can it be both ways? Also, would you say "M se (yon) Kreyol Ayiti." for "I am Haiti Creole?" I know I hear Kreyol Ayisyen for the language and the people, but if "Kreyol Lwizyan" describes the country of origin, then it seems that "Kreyol Ayiti" would do the same, but I never hear it this way. Thanks for all your help with my Kreyol. Jan Rachal.

Yes you are definitely able to add YON in that type of sentence.

As a matter of fact it is one of the instances where you can use the Creole verb to be 'SE': before a NOUN:
Mwen se yon Kreyòl Lwiziyen.
Mwen se yon Ayisyen. (I am a Haitian)
Mwen se yon fanm Kreyòl. (I am a Creole)
Mwen se yon nèg lakay. (I am a native)
Mwen se yon natif natal. (I am a native)

As opposed to NOT being able to add SE before attributes and adjectives:
Mwen malad. (I'm ill)
Mwen bouke. (I'm tired)
Mwen enève. (I'm pissed)


Usually people say Mwen se yon Aysiyen rather than Mwen se yon Kreyòl Ayiti.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words


No comments:

Post a Comment