Listen to and Follow The Podcast at SOUVNI ON THE MIKE with Podcast Transcripts available. Advanced Haitian Creole Learners, you have arrived :). Souvni On The Mike stands as a vibrant cultural beacon in the digital soundscape, offering a weekly immersion into the heart of Haitian language and life. This Haitian Creole podcast transforms the airwaves into a dynamic classroom and cultural salon, where education, entertainment, and community connection converge. Follow the podcast.

Monday, November 25, 2013

I need the definition for these following phrases/ terms please: piga, oze, ranfeme, anvi, tet mwen pati, gwo foli, m'ape, jire, lobey, foke, antann, nou sonje tout rime


 Piga (or pinga) – don’t, refrain from, beware, (giving a warning)

Egzanp:

Pinga w pale ak moun sa yo.  – Don’t talk to these people

Pinga ou ale la. – Don’t you go there.

Pinga m tande kriye sèlman. – I better not hear any crying

 

Oze – to dare, to take a risk

Egzanp:

Misye renmen fi a men li pa oze pale avè l. – He likes the girl, but he’s not courageous enough to speak to her.

 

Ranfème – to be withdrawn

Egzanp:

Ti fanm tèlman timid, li ranfèmen tankou yon flè

 

Anvi (n.) – desire

Anvi (v.) – to want, to desire

Egzanp:

M’anvi wè boubout mwen. - I miss my sweetie pie.

 

Tèt mwen pati – I’ve lost my mind

gwo foli – madness

 

m'ape (same as m’ap or mwen ap)

Egzanp:

M’ap chante  same as M’ape chante (I’m singing)

M’ap wè w nan fèt la pita.  Same as M’ape wè w nan fèt la pita .(I’ll see you at the party later)

 

jire – to swear

Egzanp:

Nou jire pou n pa janm fè sa ankò. – We swear never to do that again.

 

lobèy - commotion, unrest

Egzanp:

Ki lòbèy ki gen nan kay sa a?! – What’s all the fuss in this house?

Ala fanm ka fè lòbèy! – This woman can be rowdy!

 

foke – to have lost it, to have gone crazy

 

antann (or tonbe dakò) – to agree, to mean to say

Egzanp:

Ann antann nou sou sa. – Let’s agree on this.

 

nou sonje tout rime (rimè?) – We remember all rumors

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment