Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lesson 13 - Subject Pronouns

I - Mwen, M

you - Ou, W

He/She/ It - Li, l

We - Nou, N

You - Nou, N

They - Yo, Y


1. She buys five houses. - Li achte senk kay. Or L achte senk Kay.

2. We come to see you. - Nou vini wè w. Or N vini wè w

3. They sing all night. - Yo chante tout nan nwit.

4. They buy all the food. - Y achte tout manje a.

5. I show you the way. - Mwen montre ou chimen an
___________________________________________________________

Let's practice. Translate the following sentences.

1. He is happy.

2. She walks fast.

3. I sit next to you.

4. We bring good news.

5. They talk a lot.

Find answer key at the bottom of this page



1.li kontan    2.li mache vit    3. m chita bò kote w    4.nou pote bon nouvèl    5.yo pale anpil.




5 comments:

  1. "mwen montre ou chimin an" or
    mwen montre ou chimen an ?
    Which one is correct ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one, Mwen montre ou chimen an is correct.

      Delete
  2. I am so grateful for these lessons...but I am confused.
    #4 of your examples...."They sing all night" Yo chante tout nan nwit...I don't understand why nan is there. It isn't "they sing all the night" right? Can you explain for me please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people say "nan nuit", others say "lannuit" which means "night".

      So you can say
      Yo chante tout nuit la.
      Yo chante tout nan nuit.
      or
      Yo chante tout lannuit.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I have a question, why are "We" and plural "You" written like "Nou" in creole?

    ReplyDelete