Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Most Embarassing Moments While I Was Learning to Speak English

Bonjou, Kouman ou ye?
How are you progressing in the Haitian Creole language so far?
Have you taken a class?
Have you networked with a Creole speaking group?
Have you sent yourself messages in Creole on your phone? (I did that!)
Have you dreamed in Creole yet? (I always spoke perfect English, with no accent, in my dreams.)

Learning a new language can be quite an adventure.  When I came to the USA, I didn't understand a word of spoken English even though I had studied the language for a short while in Haiti.  One week after I landed at the Miami International Airport, I was sent to High School.  With the help of an interpreter I was told that I would start in the eleventh grade based on my school transcripts from Haiti.
That was great, I thought.  Except that I was sure whether it meant that I would be in the eleventh class, or that I would be the eleventh student.
My first year in High School in the USA was the worst year of my life.  I cried often.  I never thought this dark period would ever end.  I would not have made it out sanely if it wasn't for my piano teacher, Mr. Sunburg.  Mr, Sunburg was an older teacher who was funny, unconventional and talented.  Even though I never understood most of what he said in class, his body language communicated patience, compassion, and understanding.  He is the one who gave me the idea that people don't have to speak the same language to communicate well. 
These are some of the most embarassing moments I remember from that time:

1. When I was called upon to answer a question in class my teachers seldom understood a word I said. They’d ask me to, “speak up!”, “repeat!” and eternally wait for my answer in a quiet classroom filled with chuckles.


2. My math teacher was videotaping the class one day. When it was my turn to speak I was mortified. I couldn’t utter a word. Worse of all the whole class kept saying, “Come on girl, say something!”

3. Public transportation in Haiti is not the same as the in USA. No kidding! there are no bus stops, there are no marked buses, and there’s no button to press to stop the bus. In Haiti you yell “Psst!” to get the bus driver’s attention. So in my first months in the USA I stepped onto a Miami bus. The driver was mad at me. I now know that it was because I was fiercely waving my arm to stop the bus instead of waiting at a bus stop. When I got to my destination, I wasn’t sure how to stop the bus. So I kept going until another rider had to get down. I’m pretty sure I walked an extra six or seven blocks that day.

4. On the stairs, in school once, a boy came to my face, waving his menacing fingers at me, saying…. Something I didn’t understand. I charged at him and he ran away. I don’t know what I would’ve done if he had charged back. I don’t know how to fight. Haven’t had a catfight yet.

5. In Haiti, it is traditional to greet and kiss every grown up that comes into the house on the cheek. When I came to the USA I kept kissing the landlord every time he came to collect my mom’s payment until he told my mom to make me stop kissing him.

6. We do not have the “letter grading system” in Haiti schools. On my first day in High school I got a grade of “F” for a,  possibly,  review test. When I got my graded test back, I sat it on my desk and the girl next to me was gawking at my letter grade. She took my test from me and started passing it around  in class. I thought that was good thing. I don't think so anymore.

7. I walked into the boy’s bathroom. Worse of all, I did not even notice that it was a little bit 'different'. I just went in. I actually thought it was weird that a boy came in and stood up to pee in that “thing” on the wall.

8.  It took me a long time to confidently answer, "Here!", to roll call without breaking into a sweat and palpitation.

9.  Someone should have warned me about Halloween and saved me a day of confusion.

10.  I am grateful for all the people who have kept eye contact, and nodded, and smiled as they were trying to make sense of my broken English.

13 comments:

  1. Wow Mandaly, as a girl who will be soon stepping foot into Haiti and will try to get by with my minimal Kreyol, it's encouraging to read your story - there might be some difficult and embarassing moments, but I'm determined to make a really good effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear!
    Kontinye aprann Kreyòl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks.
    Akhilesh
    Akhilesh
    Overseas Education

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandaly, I LOVED what you said about your piano teacher. YES, body language and eye contact can say "I care" as loudly and clearly as any words in any language!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the note.
    I'll never forget Mr. Sunburg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting! Thank you for sharing your experiences. You are an awesome person, I am loving this blog! Thanks for your answer before too. I hope to become fluent in Haitian one day and help out down in Haiti.
    Brian G
    briangecko@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be truly inspiring. Keep it up Brian. Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness for your post is simply spectacular and that i can think you are an expert on this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to grab your feed to stay updated with forthcoming post. Thanks one million and please continue the rewarding work.
    Tri Ply Stainless Steel Cookware

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...As an American trying to learn Creole, I must say you seem to know Both languages better than I. How did you perfect your English so well? Until now I wasn't sure which was your native language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... Mèsi pou bèl konpliman sa. (Thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
    2. Your welcome and thank YOU bèl zanmi mwen.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this. Once you've lived--not just visited, but lived--as a foreigner in another country, you forever understand and sympathize with others who are in the same situation. My heart goes out to you as a foreigner in the US. Living in Haiti for ten years, I have experienced some teasing as a foreigner, but for the most part I find the Haitian people quite kind and patient with us foreigners.

    ReplyDelete