Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, June 13, 2011

How is "W" pronounced, is it the same as "ou"? thanks.

Yes,
"w" is the contracted form of Haitian Creole "ou"

Part 1
"w" or "ou" both translate the words 'you, your, and yours

Examples
papa ou - your father
papa w - your father

M renmen ou - I love you.
M renmen w - I love you.

Ou ap dòmi. - You're sleeping.
Wap dòmi. - You're sleeping.

Sa se pa ou la. - This is yours.
Sa se pa w la. - This is yours.

Part 2
Haitian Creole speakers often use "w" instead of "ou" in writing and speaking.
"w" comes after words that end with nasal and non nasal vowels only.

Examples:
manman w - your mother

kò w - your body

chapo w - your hat

M rele w. - I call you.

Nou kwè w. - We believe you.

Part 3
"w" does not come after words that end with a consonant.
"ou" is used instead.

Examples:
pitit ou - your child

t ou - your head

machin ou - your car

pawòl ou - your word

M konprann ou. - I understand you.

Part 4
Examples:
Listen to the "ou" and "w" sound after the words in the list below.
Click on the play button, then listen or feel free to repeat after me.


1. Papa w - your father

2. Kò w - your body

3. vwazen w - your neighbor

4. kabann ou - your bed

5. liv ou - your book

6. M ekri w - I write to you.

7. M renmen w. - I like you.

8. M konprann ou. - I understand you.

9. Sa se manman w. - This is your mom.

10. Lave figi w. - Wash your face.

See other lessons with "OU" and "W"

Learn more about Nasal and non nasal vowels
Ask me anything

1 comment:

  1. This is soooo helpful! It's still hard to pronounce the w correctly, but it's a big help to hear it up against a variety of preceding words. Mesi anpil, Mandaly.

    ReplyDelete