Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Can you help me understand the difference between "okenn" and "anyen" and also between "ke" and "ki"? Mesi anpil! M renmen sit w!

Mèsi anpil!

Okenn is a determiner that stands for any, none, some, or an unspecified number.
It is usually placed in front of a noun.

It is not used in affirmative sentences such as: "You can have any car you want."  In the latter case, "any" will be translated as "nenpòt"
Example:
I don’t have any clothes.
Mwen pa gen okenn rad.

We don't see anyone here.
Nou pa wè okenn moun la.

There’s no students in the class.
Pa gen okenn elèv nan klas la.

He does have any respect for himself.
Li pa gen okenn respè pou tèt li.



Anyen stands for nothing and anything.
It does not need to be accompanied by a noun.

Example:
I don’t have anything.
M pa gen anyen.

There's nothing that can make me go back to your house.
Pa gen anyen ki ka fè m retounen lakay ou.

I can’t see anything.
M pa ka wè anyen.

He did not give me anything at all.
Li pat ban mwen anyen ditou.

I don't want anything to happen to you.
Mwen pa vle anyen rive w.

Let nothing scare you.
Pa kite anyen fè w pè.

Study hard so that nothing will keep you from passing your exams.
Etidye di pou anyen pa anpeche w pase egzamen yo.


Ki is translated in English as that, who, which
It refers to people, things or places.
It is the relative pronoun that acts as a subject before a verb.
Example:
I know the man who's standing at the door.
Mwen konnen mesye ki kanpe nan pòt la.

Do you know a school that is close to my house?
Eske ou konnen yon lekòl ki pre lakay mwen?

This is the church that burned down.
Sa se legliz ki te boule a?

This is the boy who sang at the parade.
Sa se ti gason ki te chante nan parad la.



Ke also means that.

Example:
I know that you love me.
Correct:  Mwen konnen ou renmen mwen.
Incorrect:  Mwen konnen ke ou renmen mwen

He told me that you went to the store.
Correct:  Li di mwen ou te ale nan magazen an.
Incorrect:  Li di mwen ke ou te ale nan magazen an.

The mango that you bought is spoiled.
Correct:  Mango ou achte a pouri.
Incorrect:  Mango ke ou te achte a pouri.

1 comment:

  1. Why is "ke" the problem in these last sentences since it means "that"? When do we use "ke" if at all?

    ReplyDelete