Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

M couche. M'ap couche. M te couche. M t'ap couche. I know that some refer to lying down to sleep and some ... don't. How do I stay out of trouble with "couche"?

Kouche in Haitian Creole generally means to lie down. If you start using kouche avèk, then we might be talking about some grown-up stuff.
In some instances, the context is a good guide.

Examples:
M te al kouche a sizè yèswa.
I went to lie down at six last night.

Nou te tèlman fatige, n'al kouche bonè.
We were so tired, we went to bed early.

Tanpri, kouche bwat la atè a.
Please, lay the box on the floor.

M deja kouche.
I'm already in bed.

Mwen te kouche ak yon tèt fè mal.
I went to bed with a headache.

Li toujou kouche nan menm chanm ak timoun yo.
She usually sleeps in the same room as the kids.

Nou te kouche ansanm.
We slept together.

Mwen fache anpil paske li te kouche ak madanm mwen.
I'm outraged that he slept with my wife..

Li pa't janm kouche ak yon gason.
She had never slept with a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment