Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, May 3, 2013

"My grandmother came to Texas after the civil war, but was raised in the New Orleans area with the assistance of a black "mammy". I am now 66 years old. I remember a chant that was taught to me by my aunt that supposedly came from this black woman. To me it sounds very cajun. It goes something like this...

"My grandmother came to Texas after the civil war, but was raised in
the New Orleans area with the assistance of a black "mammy".  I am now 66 years
old.  I remember a chant that was taught to me by my aunt that supposedly came
from this black woman.  To me it sounds very Cajun.  It goes something like
this :

Roll sholl ol dad roll,
zill zall zal zing,
kitty catty coe,
shilly macky lum cum,
shilly macky low,
shilly macky bowly slander,
Chop cu, chop cu, missy fossy,
lossy fu,
Ping daddle ping.

Of course this was handed down verbally so the spelling is completely arbitrary. 
It may just be something made up to entertain my great-grandmother as a child.

I have always been curios about it and would appreciate any info anyone might
have.

Thanks"

This really does sound entertaining.
I'm not yet sure what it sounds like, but some of my friends might know. 
If I get any information regarding this I'll add it to this post.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment