Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

When do you know to say "yo" at the end of a statement in Creole?

There are many instances where you will find "yo" at the end of a sentence.
"yo" is Haitian Creole for "they, them, their". And it also comes after nouns as a plural article.
Would you take a look at the following examples?


As a plural article (the):

the books → liv yo

the cars → machin yo

She's painting the chairs.L'ap pentire chèz yo.

I love the flowers. → Mwen renmen flè yo.


I hope you brought the kids' toys.
M espere ou te pote jwèt timoun yo. (see possessive nouns)



As a plural demonstrative adjective (these, those):

these plants → plant sa yo
those kids → timoun sa yo

Look at all these people! → Gade moun sa yo!

I don't believe in these things. → Mwen pa kwè nan bagay sa yo.

I love these shoes. → Mwen renmen soulye sa yo.

Where did you find these? → Kote w te jwenn sa yo?


As the subject pronoun (they), "yo" comes before the verbs.
They are done. → Yo fini.
They talk too much. → Yo pale twòp.


As plural possessive adjective (my, your, their...) or within the possessive pronouns (theirs - pa yo)

my eyes → zye mwen,  zye mwen yo or zye m yo

his children → pitit li or pitit li yo
our children → pitit nou or pitit nou yo

I don't want her to drive, so I took her keys.
Mwen pa vle li kondwi, se pousa mwen pran kle li yo.

Thanks for returning my books.
Mèsi deske ou te retounen liv mwen yo.

Yesterday I saw your kids.
Yè mwen te wè timoun ou yo.


I did not like his last classes.
Mwen pa't renmen dènye klas li yo.


I can't believe she threw away all her clothes.
Mwen pa ka kwè li te jete tout rad li yo.


I brought my papers.
Mwen te pote papye mwen yo.




As the object pronoun (them), you will find "yo" at the end of a phrase also.

I love them.
Mwen renmen yo.

I talked to them.
Mwen te pale ak yo.

Those are mine. Don't touch them.
Sa yo se pa'm. Pa manyen yo.

I can't find my shoes. Have you seen them?
Mwen pa ka jwenn soulye m yo.  Eske ou te wè yo?

No comments:

Post a Comment