Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

'Chak kou ou vini' - 'Each neck you come'? Doesn't make any sense. Thoughts?

You're right it does not make any sense, because Creole 'kou', here, means 'time'.

Kou, kon, kòm → as, as soon as, like, as well as, when, time
ex:
chak kou / chak kon / chak fwa → every time, each time

Chak kou li vini, li toujou pote pen Ayisyen.
Every time he comes, he always bring Haitian bread.

Mwen te vole kou yon zwazo.
I flew like a bird.

Granmoun kou timoun dwe prezante.
Adults as well as children should be present.

Kou papa l pati, li koumanse fèt la.
As soon as his dad left, he started the party

Kou → a strike, a blow
Bay kou → to hit, to deal a blow, to afflict
ex:
Li ban m yon kou.
She hit me.

Pa ba l kou.
Do not hit her.

Vòle sa yo ban m yon kou. Yo devide kont bankè mwen.
These crooks dealt me a blow.  They emptied my bank account.



Kou → course, a session, curriculum
Kou Kreyòl la va dire twa mwa.
The Creole class will last three months.


Kou → neck
ex:
Mwen gen kou fè mal.
I have neck pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment