Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Kifèla, ou pa travay anpil! ( Can you please explain "kifela" ?) Kamsa hamnida

"kifèla",  "kifèla a" or "ki fè la a" (from French ce qui fait que), at best, translates the conjunction SO or the adverb CONSEQUENTLY.  Otherwise it may translate this means, which means, does this mean, I take this as...

Here's an example:
1.
Mwen wè ou nan kabann toujou.  Kifèla, ou pa pral travay?
I see you're still in bed.  So, you're not going to work?
I see you're still in bed.  Does this mean your not going to work?
I see you're still in bed.  I take this as you're not going to work, am I right?


2.
Mwen pèdi travay mwen jodi a.  Kifèla a, m p'ap kapab ede w ankò.
I lost my job today, which means I won't be able to help you anymore.
I lost my job today, so I won't be able to help you anymore.

3.
Mwen remake ou pa al lekòl depi twa semèn. Kifèla yo mete w deyò?
I notice that you have not gone to school for three weeks.  So, they kicked you out?
I notice that you have not gone to school for three weeks.  Does this mean that they kicked you out?


In this next example:
Your son goes ahead and get a tattoo even though you advised him not to do it.
So you say:
4.
Kifèla ou pa koute konsèy mwen ankò?
So you don't listen to my advice anymore?


Here's another example:
Your best friend hasn't talked you in months.  He's been avoiding you.  So the next time you see him you might say:
5.
Kifèla a ou pa zanmi m ankò?
So you're not my friend anymore?
Does this mean you're not my friend anymore?  



Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. mucho gracias !
    mesi anpil !
    kamsa hamnida.
    Mwen ap ale nan Port au Prince on 5/29/2013
    from NJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dakò. Mwen va priye pou vwayaj ou pase byen.
      I'll pray that your trip goes well.

      Mèsi :)

      Delete