Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

To (as in a destination): I am walking to my room. (M'ap mâché nan chanm m? or M'ap mâché al chanm m?) Or something else? Also I'm confused by how I would say "off of": Get off of me. Fall off of the table. Etc.

I.
I am walking to my room – “M’ap mache al nan chanm mwen” is correct

You can also say: M pral nan chanm mwen  (I’m going to my room)

Adding the Creole verb “ale” helps to indicate that you’re walking towards the room.

M’ap mache nan chanm mwen meansI am walking in my room”

 
II.
You may add the verb “ale” to indicate that you are moving to …a direction.

Examples:

N’ap kondi al Miami instead of N’ap kondi Miami (We’re driving to Miami)

Mwen te mache al lakay instead of Mwen te mache lakay (I walked home)

 
III.
As far as the preposition “to” is concerned, it may not be translated in Creole in these cases:

Mwen pral lekòl (I’m going to school)

Nou prale lavil. (We’re going to town)

Eske ou  prale legliz jodi a? (Will you go to church today?)

Nou prale lakay. (We’re going home)

 

 IV.
And sometimes we use “NAN”

Nan may indicate at, to, to the, in, or in the
Examples:

Li prale nan mache. (He’s going to the market)

Mwen pral nan magazen an. (I’m going to the store)

Mwen pral nan konsè a. (I’m going to the concert)

Mwen pral nan fèt la. (I’m going to the party)

Mwen prale nan reyinyon an. (I’m going to the meeting)

Li nan travay.  (She’s at work.)

Mwen te wè li lopital la. Or M te wè l nan lopital la. (I saw her at the hospital)

 
V.
And finally… a little correction in your sentence :)

Say “chanm mwen” instead of “chanm m”

We don’t usually use contractions after consonants

Chanm mwen, not chanm m (my room) We don't use the contracted “m” after “chanm” because of the ending consonant “m” in “chanm

Liv mwen, not liv m (my book) We don't use contracted “m” after “liv” because of the ending consonant “v” in “liv

Kabann ou not kabann w (your bed) We don't use contracted “w” after “kabann” because of the ending consonant “n” in “kabann

Bagay li not bagay l (his thing)  We don't use contracted “l”  after “bagay” because of the ending consonant “y” in bagay)

Mwen prale avèk ou not Mwen prale avèk w (I will go with you)  We don't use contracted “w” after “avèk” because of consonant “k” at the end of “avèk

BUT you CAN say Mwen prale avè w (I’m will go with you) We use contraction “w” after “avè” because we have a vowel “è” at the end of “avè

You can also say:

Papa mwen or papa m (my father) because “papa” ends with a vowel “a”.  SO it's ok to use a contraction after a word that ends with a vowel.

Mwen renmen ou or Mwen renmen w (I like you) because “renmen” ends with the nasal vowel “en”

manman mwen or manman m (my mother) because “manman” ends with the nasal vowel “an”

Rele mwen or Rele m (call me) because “rele” ends with a vowel “e”   

 
VI.
OFF OF / OFF  may be translated with some Haitian Creole expressions.  We may use Haitian Creole terms "retire" or "wete" (to take away or take out), or "soti" or "sot" (out of)
Examples:

Get off of me  (Get off me?)– Soti sou mwen, wete (or retire) kò w sou mwen

   Soti sou mwen – get away from me

  Wete kò w sou mwen – remove your body from me, remove yourself from me, get away from me.

She fell off heavenLi tonbe sot nan syèl

He fell off the horseLi sot tonbe sou chwal la.

She fell off the bed. – Li sot tonbe sou kabann nan.

The spoon fell off the table . – Kiyè a sot tonbe sou tab la

Take your feet off the tableWete pye w sou tab la

He took off his hatLi wete chapo l.
He took the hat off the table. - Li wete chapo a sou tab la.

Keep off the grassRete lwen gazon an. (Rete lwen – Stay away)
Keep the car off the grass. - Wete machin nan sou gazon an.
Same as:
Get off me. - Wete w sou mwen or Sot kò w sou mwen or Soti kò w sou mwen.

She got off the car.Li te desann machin nan. (Get off – desann, soti)

I’m going to get off right here.M’ap desann la a.

(check LABELS at the bottom)
 

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

4 comments:

  1. Bonjou Mandaly! Se TiWil ankò. Mwen apresye post sa a anpil.

    Gen yon bagay ki konfonn mwen:

    "Li sot tonbe sou chwal la"

    Mwen ta konprann sa a "He fell ON the horse" paske mwen konprann "sou" kòm English "on."

    Koman ou ta di "He fell on the horse" (menmsi se yon fraz dwòl)?

    Mo "sou" a twouble mwen nan egzanp sa yo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mezanmi bonswa TiWil!

      Wi se yon fraz dwòl vrèman, men yon moun gen dwa sot sou yon pye bwa enpi li tonbe sou do yon cheval :) Donk se yon posiblite. Podyab chwal la :)

      Nan ka sa a, ou kapab di “moun nan tonbe sou cheval la”, oubyen “moun nan tonbe anwo cheval la.”

      Men sa ki va pi ede w fè fraz la byen klè san okenn dout ditou se lè ou presize KI KOTE moun nan SOTI pou l’al tonbe a…

      Pa egzanp:
      1. Misye sot sou tèt kay la enpi li tonbe sou tab la.
      2. Chat la sot nan pye bwa a al tonbe sou cheval la.
      So all of this is indicating that “One fell ON or ON TOP OF something”

      But how do we differentiate when saying that “One fell OFF something”?
      “SOT …SOU” or “SOTI …SOU” tend to translate “to COME OFF OF...”
      pa egzanp:
      3. Li sot tonbe sou kabann nan. He fell off the bed.
      4. Li tonbe sou kabann nan.He fell onto the bed.
      5. Li pran yon so* kabann. (to be more precise)– He sustained a fall from bed
      6. Li sot sou kabann nan, l tonbe atè bip! He fell from the bed to the floor.
      7. Li te pran yon so cheval, depi lè sa a li paralyze. - He fell from a horse, since then he's been paralyzed.

      *so = fall

      Delete
  2. I think it is a bit like in English how you can use "on top of" like "sou" here:

    "It fell from on top of the table" = "Li sot tonbe sou tab la."

    which is different from

    "It fell on top of table." = "Li tonbe sou tab la."


    So "sot" acts as English "from" (which I had a feel for), but the word order is different.

    Where "Li sot tonbe sou tab la." literally = "It FROM fell on top of table the."

    Bon, Mèsi anpil Mandaly! Sa ede m!

    -TiWil

    ReplyDelete