Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, December 12, 2011

what is the difference between epi and depi...do they both mean "then?" i've also heard depi used as depi maten...

depi → since, from, whence

Depi maten l'ap pale.
Since this morning she's talking (literally)
She's been talking since this morning.

Mwen pa wè li depi mwa desanm.
I haven't see him since December.

M'ap vin la depi lendi...
I have been coming here since Monday...

Depi papa li mouri, li pa vin wè nou ankò.
Since his dad died, he doesn't come to see us anymore.

Depi mari l pa la, li sòti.
Once her husband is not home, she goes out.

Depi chyen yo tande pòt la sonnen, yo koumanse jape.
Once the dogs hear the doorbell ring, they start barking.

Depi ou peye m, m'ap ba ou machandiz la.
Once you pay me I'll give you the merchandise.

Nou ouvri depi lendi jiska vandredi.
We're open from Monday till Friday.

Mwen kondui depi Pòtoprens jiska Okap.
I drove from Port-au-Prince to Au Cap.

Sezon siklòn se depi mwa jen jiska novanm.
Hurricane season is from June to November.

Tout moun nan ka, depi pi pitit jiska pi gran an.
Everyone is in trouble, from the smallest to the oldest.


Epi (or epitou) → and, and then

Li wo, li bèl, li emab epi li entelijan.
She's tall, beautiful, easygoing and she's smart.

Li vle pou m fè manje, epi pou m lave asyèt yo tou.
She wants me to cook, and then to wash the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment