Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hi Mandaly, does this phrase have a non-literal translation? Or does it simply refer to confusion? "Mezanmi se mele mwen mele!"

Hi. This expression does not have a literal translation.
Mezanmi se mele mwen mele - Oh dear! I'm stuck, Oh dear I'm in trouble, or Oh dear! I'm in deep *#@%!

Mele - mixed, stuck
Mezanmi is derived from the french 'Mes amis'. Its literal meaning is 'My friends'.
Mezanmi is an interjection, it can be translated as: Oh dear!, Geez!, Oh God!
Both definitions are used in Haitian Creole.
Example:  You walk up to a group of people in a meeting and you say, Bonjou mezanmi! meaning 'good morning everyone' or 'Good morning friends!'
Or,
You are driving on the road and another driver just rear-ended you, you'd interject, "Mezanmi!"
Or
You're listening to the news and just learned of a very hainous crime that someone had committed, you may also interject, "Mezanmi! what is this world coming to?"

Notes you'd be interested in:
When you see this type of phrase "se mele mwen mele" (where the verb, adjective or attribute is doubled), it is a sort of authentication of the said sentence.
Example:
Se mache map mache - I am just walking
Se li map li - I am just reading
Se grangou mwen grangou - I am just so hungry
Se kontan mwen kontan - I am just so happy
Se kouri map kouri - I am just running
Se pale map pale - I am just talking
Se vini mwen vini - I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment