Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, May 2, 2011

How do you express perfect tenses (have done, had done) in Creole? With 'te'? Adverbial expressions?

In Haitian Creole, we continue to use 'te' in past and perfect tenses.
*It's important to note that it's not uncommon for Haitians to omit the 'te' in past or perfect tenses, and speak of the past as if it was the present.

I have spoken to her. 
Mwen te pale avè l.

We've told her about it.
Nou te di l sa.

I had tried to help them, but they refused my help.
Mwen te eseye ede yo, men yo refize sipò mwen.

I have been here since 6 o'clock. - Mwen la depi sizè. (without "te")
I have been here since 6 o'clock. - Mwen te la depi sizè. (with "te")

He has done a terrible thing. - Li fè yon move bagay.
He has done a terrible thing. - Li te fè yon move bagay.

Thank you for all you've done. - Mèsi pou tout sa ou fè.
Thank you for all you've done. - Mèsi pou tout sa ou te fè.

I have been waiting for you for 2 hours. - M te ap tann ou pou dezè d'tan.

Has she been sleeping all that time. - Eske li te ap dòmi tout tan sa?

We know how you feel, we had been there. - Nou konnen kijan ou santi ou, nou te la tou.

No comments:

Post a Comment