Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

So sorry to bring up bad memories :( My question is not because I need to correct my child. I was just curious how Haitian father's discipline their children. Maybe explain what a dad would say to his child to correct them...strict and soft.

***Thanks.  I understood your question pretty well.  Because of the cultural differences in the way some kids are disciplined in Haiti.  It might be best to substitute some of the Creole expressions with your own words.

Mwen renmen ou, men mwen pa kontan sa ou fè a.
I love you, but I'm not happy with the way you acted.

Ou nan pinisyon*.
You are grounded.

Map mete ou nan pinisyon*.
I am grounding you.

Mwen ta renmen ou konpòte ou byen.
I would like for you to behave well.

*Note:  You may have to explain the concept of "being grounded" to a child that was raised in Haiti.  Some children might expect a "whipping" when you say the creole word "pinisyon" . 

No comments:

Post a Comment