Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"talè" and "toutalè" could mean future or past tense?

When talè or toutalè mean some time in the future:
talè and toutalè → soon, later, in a few minutes, in a moment, in a while
Sometimes, you will hear: 
talè konsa  or  toutalè konsa.

Example:
Na pale talè.
We'll talk later.
or
Na pale talè konsa.
We'll talk later.
both Creole sentences above mean the same thing.


Ma wè ou toutalè.
I'll see you soon.
or
Ma wè ou toutalè konsa
I'll see you soon.
Both Creole sentences above mean the same thing

Have you ever heard the song:
Soon and very soon, we are going to see the king.
Well, it's translated as:
Toutalè konsa, nou va wè sovè a.
Which means
Soon, we will see the savior.


When talè and toutalè mean some time in the recent past.
talè a, toutalè a a few minutes ago, just recently, a few moments ago

example:
I saw her a few minutes ago.
Mwen te wè li talè a.

I gave him $20 a few moments ago.
Mwen te ba li ven dola talè a.

I just finished eating a while ago.
Mwen fèk fin manje toutalè a.

I can't believe she's gone.  Just now I was talking to her.
Mwen pa ka kwè li mouri.  Talè a mwen tap pale avè li.

1 comment:

  1. thank you! i've been hearing this for years and could never get a direct translation. i appreciate this site a lot

    ReplyDelete