Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

What are some of your favorite expressions in Creole? (In English I like to say something "warms my heart.")

My favorite expressions are actually the unexpressed or unstated ones.

But I'll list the Creole expressions that I use the most:

1. Renmen a mò → love to death
Mwen renmen w a mò. - I love you to death.

2. Tèt mato → Bad, really bad driver
Tèt mato literally means hammer head
I just think it's a cool Creole expression.
"Tèt mato!" is what I yell at the driver who cuts in front of me on the road.

3. Poto mitan → an important or indispensable person.
Poto mitan literally means "central pillar"
My mom is my "poto mitan". I learned a lot from her.

4. Pawòl tafya → nonsense talk
"Pawòl tafya" literally means "words of a drunkard"
W'ap pale pawòl tafya! → You're talking nonsense!

5. Doktè de men → a doctor who practices medicine according to science, but also believes in witchcraft.
I know a few "doktè de men" who practice medicine in Miami. They have a lot of Haitian clients.

6. Gate san → (literally: spoil blood) → driving mad
This is my favorite expression. I use it all the time.
W'ap gate san m! → You're making me mad!

7. Yaya kò → to pick up after yourself a bit, pick up the pace
You are going to the movies with a friend. You're in a hurry, and your friend is taking his time, causing you to be late. You can tell your friend:
Yaya kò w non! → C'mon, hurry up!

8. Anba anba → in secret
Yap pale anba anba. → They're being secretive.

9. Bay poto → (literally: to give a stick) Not keeping your word.
My friend promised me that he'll come to help me paint the kids room yesterday, but he never showed up.
Li ban m poto. → He didn't keep his word to me.

10. Bay jarèt → (literally: to give a leg) To support.
Anpil peyi ap bay Ayiti jarèt.
Many countries are supporting Haiti.


11.  Mete dlo nan diven w. → (Literally: Put some water in your wine.)
It means to Calm down, chill out, simmer down, cool it, compose yourself, control your emotion, etc....
Example:
Tata pa koute.  Mwen pede di li pa kanpe sou chèz la.  Kou l tonbe, l'ap mete dlo nan diven l.
Tata doesn't listen.  I keep telling her not to stand on the chair.  Once she falls, she'll simmer down.

2 comments:

  1. Mandaly, This was my question. Now I'll have to start writing a little journal so I can practice using these expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great.
    I guess I'll be hearing these expressions from you when we chat in Creole :)

    ReplyDelete