Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Do you know of a good way to ship things to Haiti from the US?

Oh! here's a disappointing and very frustrating experience.
I (my family) have shipped cars by boat.
I have shipped books by FedEx.
I have shipped items of all sizes, and used pretty much all methods of shipment. I've had nothing but disappointment.

The workers at Haiti's customs have their own rules.
It's all about extortion.
Sending your package is one thing. Getting it from Haiti's customs is another. You'll be succesfull with getting your package depending on how bad you want your shipment and how much you're willing to pay to get it.

If you are sending a small package, send it with a trusted company (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc...) and insure it.
I once paid about $250 to ship a package via Fedex to Haiti.  The package was supposed to arrive within 5 days.  The package got lost and resurfaced in three weeks all torn!  I didn't insure the package,  And worse, I had listed everything in there at a lower value so that the recipient could only pay the $150.00 Customs duty.  Big error on my part!

If you are sending a big package like a car, meds for hospitals, clothes for a church, school supplies, or other similar things, I suggest you google a company that would deliver to your chosen city. I, personally, have shipped to Port-de-Paix only because I knew someone at Customs there who made it less of a headache to get my shipment (still has to pay something on the side to each person who handles your shipment).

On top of that, there's always the chance of workers going through your shipment.  If they see something they like, they take it without shame.
One trick that most Haitians use when they ship to Haiti:
If you're shipping a bike, disassemble the bike.  Send the body of the bike in one shipment.  Then send the wheels through another shipment at a different date.  That goes for bedding, dining room sets, dolls (poor toys!),  and lots more. 
Do not send new, pretty, or expensive items unless it's via a trusted method of shipment.
We once shipped a newly bought propane tank to Port-de-Paix, Haiti.  My husband usually travels to Haiti at the time his shipments are due to arrive at Customs so that he would make his disputes in person and with receipt in hands (as there's always a dispute about an item that didn't make it!  &  There's nothing worse than disputing your lost item over a very staticky international phone connection!) This time, Customs did deliver the propane tank; a very rusty, old propane tank of a different color than the one we sent!   

1 comment:

  1. That is quite extreme—having to dismantle expensive items just so the people who work for shipping companies get discouraged to steal them. I guess in situations like these, it's better to know the people directly involved, just like your contact person. I'm sorry that shipping for you has become such a tedious chore, given the situation at hand.

    Legacy Transportation Services

    ReplyDelete