Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, November 7, 2011

Besides "men" is there another word for "but"?

Yes.

men → but, however, and

Other conjunctions that may be used instead of "men" are:
epoutan or poutan
sepandan
tandiske
aloske

example:
She says she quit smoking, but she keeps buying cigarettes.
Li di li kite fimen, men l'ap kontinye achte sigarèt.
Li di li kite fimen, tandiske l'ap kontinye achte sigarèt.
Li di li kite fimen, sepandan l'ap kontinye achte sigarèt.

I was going to loan her my book,  but she already bought her own.
Mwen ta pral prete l liv mwen an, epoutan li gentan achte pa l.

2 comments:

  1. Could "toutfwa", "neyanmwen" be added to this category as well? Do Haitians use "neyanmwen"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear toutfwa often. I think that a person who is used to speaking French would be the one to use neyanmwen.

      Delete