Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

How do you spell the Creole words for "full" and "alone". "Fèl" and "sèl" can't be right (the latter means "salt").

full (to have a lot of) → plen or ranpli.

It's full.
Li plen.

I'm full. I can eat anymore.
Vant mwen plen. Mwen pa ka manje ankò.

He's full of the Holy Spirit.
Li ranpli ak Sentespri.


Alone → sèl, pou kont

I am alone.
Mwen pou kont mwen.
or
Mwen sèl.

Why are you sitting alone?
Poukisa ou chita pou kont ou?
or
Poukisa ou chita sèl?


Sèl also translates the English words salt, only, only one

You're the only one I love.
Se ou sèl mwen renmen.

He's the only one I see.
Se li sèl mwen wè.

That's the only thing I want.
Se sèl bagay mwen vle.

I need more salt.
Mwen bezwen plis sèl.

Here's link to more info on how to use sèl or Pou kont:
http://sweetcoconuts.blogspot.com/2011/06/alone-isolated-unattached-unmarried-by.html

2 comments:

  1. Do you pronounce the Creole words for alone and salt the same?

    As for full, I'm talking about "Li vid? Ou mèt «full» li."

    Salt sounds to me like it rhymes with bèl. Alone and full sound like they rhyme with the English full. No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Creole words for "alone" and "salt" are pronounced the same way.

    The word "full" is not Creole.
    There's the word "foul" in Creole which means "crowd".

    The Creole word for full or fill (v.) is "plen".
    So your sentence will be: "Li vid. Ou te mèt plen l."

    Haitians in the U.S. sometimes mix English and Creole words together (some type of Creo-glish, I guess :). Haitian-American kids and youngsters do it most often.

    So that's why you may have heard : "Li vid. Ou te mèt "full" li.

    ReplyDelete