Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

If the haitian Creole "fè" means "to do", what is 'refè'? to redo?

Refè has two different meanings.

1st:  Refè → to redo or to do again, to redesign, to remake, to start over

1. Mwen refè manje a ankò.
    I cooked the food over again.

2. Bòs la  mande m peye si (6) mil dola pou refè kwizin mwen an.
    The foreman asked me to pay $6,000 in order to redesign my kitchen.
    
3. Pwofesè a mande m refè devwa a.
    The teacher asked me to redo the homework.

4. Lè m reyalize mwen te pèdi, mwen refè wout la ankò.
    When I realized I was lost, I took the path over again.

5.  Si ou vle nou refè travay la, fòk ou peye nou doub.
     If you want us to do the work over again, you must pay us double.

2nd: Refè → to recover, to be restored to health, to be healthy again

1.  Mwen te fèb anpil.  Men apre m bwè soup la, mwen te refè.
     I was very weak.  But after I drank the soup, I felt better.

2.  Celia te malad.  Men apre de (2) jou lopital, li te refè.
     Celia was ill.  But after two days in the hospital, she recovered.

3.  Ou pa ka al travay paske ou poko refè.
      You can't go to work because you haven't recovered yet.

4.  Si ou pa pran remèd la ou p'ap refè non!
     If you don't take the medicine you will not get better!

5.  Loulou te malad prèt pou mouri lè menaj li a te kite l.  Men kou menaj li a retounen vin jwenn ni, li refè nèt!  Genlè se maladi damou li te genyen.
     Loulou was close to dying when his girlfriend left him.  But when his girlfriend came back to him he completely recovered!  I seems that he was lovesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment