Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

ANPIL? When it modifies a noun it becomes an adjective, and therefore is before it. When it modifies a verb, it becomes an adverb and goes at the end. e.g. Mwen anpil manje vs mwen manje anpil. How can I help students understand this?

You, pretty much, got it. 

But your given examples should be:

Mwen gen anpil manje (adj)
I have a lot of food.

Mwen manje anpil.(adv.)
I eat a lot.

manje is a verb and also a noun in Haitian Creole. So this example might be confusing to some students.
______________

As an adjective, anpil is placed before the noun.
Anpil (adj.) → many, a lot of, lots of, several, numerous, abundant, a great deal of



Examples:
Nou gen anpil konfyans nan ou.
We have a great deal of faith in you.

Mwen te ba li anpil lajan.
I gave him lots of money.

Anpil moun te panse li te mouri.
Many people thought he had died.

Gen anpil bagay ou pa'p ka konprann kounye a.
There are a lot of things you can't understand now.

Mwen te rele'l anpil fwa, e li pa't reponn.
I called her many times, and she didn't answer.


As an adverb, anpil modifies a verb or an attribute.

Mwen sonje w anpil. (modifies verb)
I miss you a lot.


Yo te fache anpil. (modifies attribute)
They were very angry.


Nou te mache anpil, anvan nou te rive. (modifies verb)
We walked a great deal before we arrived.

Mwen priye anpil jou sa yo.(modifies verb)
I pray a lot these days. 


Li te kontan anpil, lè li te wè w. (modifies attribute)
He was very happy when he saw you.

Mwen te panse anpil sou sa, e repons lan se "non". (modifies verb)
I thought a lot about it, and the answer is "no"

No comments:

Post a Comment