Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Does one use the definite article when addressing God thusly -- "Pè Selès" v. "Pè Selès la" ?

Re: Pè Selès,
It is not necessary to use the definite article when addressing God in a prayer in Haitian Creole.
Pè Selès (from French: Père Céleste)Celestial Father (literally) Pè Selès laThe Celestial Father (literally)
But, I suspect that if someone uttered "Pè Selès la" in front of a congregation while he's praying, it may be because he's certifying in front of everyone that he's praying to "The God of Heavens"

4 comments:

  1. I agree, but I was told that the article was required for good Creole. As proof, he stated that when a student in class wants the attention of the teacher, he doesn't call out "Mèt!"; he calls out "Mèt la!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does not sound right to me.
      I'll have to disagree.

      Did he say to what exactly this "required" rule apply: like addressing God, a teacher, Mom, Dad, your bòs, etc...?

      Delete
    2. No, he didn't say. Neither "Mèt la" nor "Pè Selès la" sounded right to me either.

      Delete
  2. hough some people in Haiti do use the definite article after "mèt" (sometimes), I cannot think of any rules that would require anyone to address another in such a way as: Mèt la, Bòs la, Jij la, Bondye a, Doktè a

    But if you do decide to do it, you should know that, in English, it would translate to an "endearing" title like The one and only.

    ReplyDelete