Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bonjou! I have run into the phrase "pat rive" a few times. Can you help me figure out what it means? (As in: "Ministè Travo Piblik Transpo ak Kominikasyon an patenarya ak Sant Nasyonal Rechèch ak Fomasyon pat rive reyalize konferans de près....)

pat rive or pa't rive contracted form for pa te rive

Pa            |  te             |   rive
negative   | past tense |  arrive, manage, succeed, achieve, come to
indicator    indicator


Nou pa't rive wè yo.
We didn't manage to see them.


Li pa't rive reyalize rèv li anvan li te mouri.
She didn't succeed in achieving her dreams before she died. 


Mwen te tande li, men mwen pa't rive konprann li.
I heard it, but I didn't manage to understand it.



2 comments: