Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

How do you say "I would have.."

It looks like you are asking about conditional sentences.


Would have (for conditional sentences) → ta va, ta
You'll see that, the English past participle tense is translated as a simple past tense in Creole.


If you had come to me, I would have helped you.
Si ou te vin kote m, mwen ta va ede w.
Si ou te vin kote m, mwen ta ede w.


If you had not held on to me you would have fallen.
Si w pa't kenbe m, ou ta va tonbe.
Si w pa't kenbe m, ou ta tonbe.


If  I had known you were hungry, I would have fed you.
Si mwen te konnen ou te grangou, mwen ta va ba ou manje.
Si mwen te konnen ou te grangou, mwen ta ba ou manje.


If you had kept your mouth shut, this would not have happened.
Si ou te fèmen bouch ou, sa pa ta va rive.
Si ou te fèmen bouch ou, sa pa ta rive.


If he had studied he would have passed the exam.
Si l te etidye, li ta va pase examen an.
Si l te etidye, li ta pase examen an.


What would you have done if you had lost your job?
Kisa w ta va fè si ou te pèdi travay ou?
Kisa w ta fè si ou te pèdi travay ou?

3 comments: