Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why is the word 'pyès' used to signify 'no one'?

Pyèspièce, pièce de monnaie) → piece, a simple piece of coin

When PYÈS means NONE;  It literally means Not even one PIECE, Not even one UNIT

So you would hear in Creole:

Pa gen pyès moun la.
There not even one piece of a person there. (literally)
There's no one there.


Mwen pa gen pyès lajan.
I don't even have one coin. (literally)
I don't have any money.


See more on PYÈS

No comments:

Post a Comment