Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I am loaning this to you. it is a loan. You will need to pay me back.

I am loaning this to you.  It is a loan.  You will need to pay me back.
M'ap prete ou sa.  Se prete mwen prete'w li.  Ou dwe renmèt mwen li.
Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

4 comments:

  1. #&*(%^@ bots....Anyway, could you literally translate the 'It is a loan.' sentence? 'Prete' x2 and all the pronouns are confusing me.
    Thanks, Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another way to say It's a loan is:
      Se yon prè.
      or
      Se yon prè li ye.

      or if it is a loan with interest, you'll say:
      Se yon ponya li ye.
      or
      Se yon angajman avèk enterè li ye.

      Some people may say: Se yon anpren li ye. , but that would sound very French.

      But, "Se prete mwen prete ou li, wi!." is the best way to say it without any doubts of misunderstanding or confusion (in case you are talking to an "unschooled" individual)

      Delete
  2. So literally dose 'Se prete mwen prete ou li' mean 'this loan from me is lent to you'...or something like that. I'm just trying to figure out this sentence. Thank you very much. You are helping more than you know. Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :)

      Se prete mwen prete ou li literally means It's lending I'm lending you this It basically translates This is only a loan.

      This is a form of speaking in H. Creole where the double word indicates some type of emphasis on the action being taken.
      Hope this helps :)

      Delete