Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, July 6, 2012

I know there are different ways to say "and" in creole (ak, avek, epi, e). In what context would I use each?

We tend to mostly use a, ak, avè, avèk when we want to say together with, plus, or with...
example:

You and
Ou menm avè'm
Ou menm avèk mwen
Ou menm ak mwen

A brother and a sister
yon frè ak yon sè

I ate a hot dog and a hamburger.
Mwen te manje yon hot dog ak yon hamburger.



We tend to mostly use epi and e when we want to say and then, and after that, plus, ....

Tèt mwen ap fè'm mal, pye'm ap fè'm mal, epi m'grangou.
My head hurts, my feet hurt, and I'm hungry.


Ou dwe netwaye chanm ou.  E lè'w fini, ou va fè devwa'w.
You must clean your room.  And when you're done, you'll do your homework.


Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your help! This is a wonderful blog that is greatly helping me (bit by bit) understand the beautiful language of kreyòl!

    ReplyDelete