Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Haitians say "to use someone as toothpick", which translation do you use, kidan or bwa dan?

Is this an American expression also?

Li pran m sèvi bwa dan.
He used me as a toothpick.
He embarrassed / humiliated me.
He treated me badly.

I have heard people use both kidan and bwa dan for this expression.
kidan (from French Cure-dent) if Creole for toothpick
bwa dan (which is lit. wood tooth) is native.  People use small pieces of wood, such as the middle vine of dried coconut leaves, as toothpick.  The vine closest to the base of the stem is usually best since it's sturdier.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment