Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, January 4, 2013

To take someone by surprise (in Creole)

to take someone by surprise (to catch him off guard? to unexpectedly come upon something) → sote sou, pantan sou

1.  Lè mouche antre nan chanm nan, li te pantan sou madanm li ak yon lòt nèg nan kabann nan. Li te si tèlman sezi, li pa't fouti pale.
      When he entered the room, he caught his wife in bed with another man.  He was so surprised that he could not talk.

2.  Mezanmi! lòtrejou lè mwen ouvè pòt kay mwen, mwen vin pantan sou yon vòlè k'ap derobe m.  Mwen kouri soti, enpi m te rele lapolis.
     Oh man! I opened the door to my house the other day to find a burglar robbing me.  I quickly got out to call the police

3. Ayè, mwen t'ap travay nan jaden m nan, e m'al sote sou yon gwo papa koulèv.  Ah! mwen di, "Pye sa'm te manje m pat ba w!" enpi mwen chape poul mwen.
     Yesterday, I was working in my garden, and I came upon a big snake.  I said, "Feet don't fail me now!" and took off.


Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment