Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Number of hours

èdtan (from French heures de temps)

1. inèdtan 
    inè-d-tan
    one hour

2. dezèdtan
    dezè-d-tan
    two hours

3.  Mwen te travay pou douzèdtan ayè.
     I worked for twelve hours yesterday.

4.  Nou te jene pou vennkatrèdtan (vennkatèdtan).
     We fasted for twenty-four hours.

5. Dabitid yon fim dire inèdtan edmi.
    Usually a movie lasts one and a half hours.

6.  Nenpòt moun ki fè yon diskou ki dire plis pase demi èdtan pa gen konpasyon pou oditè l yo.
     Anyone that makes a speech longer than half an hour has no compassion for his audience.

7.  Mwen fatige paske m te dòmi yon kadè sèlman yèswa.
     I'm tired because I only slept for a quarter of an hour last night.

8.  Konbyen èdtan ou travay pa semèn?  Mwen travay karantèdtan pa semèn.
     How many hours you work per week?  I work forty hours per week.

9.  Pran medikaman an chak twazèdtan.
     Take the medicine every three hours.

10.  M te gen tranche pou trannsizèdtan anvan m akouche.
     I was in labor for thirty-six hours before giving birth.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. I like sentence number seven. I just learned a new word, 'kadè' to mean a quarter of an hour. What about "I only slept a half of an hour last night." or "I only slept at three-forth of an hour."? What is a word for 'a half an hour'? What is a word for 'a three-fourth of an hour'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. half an hourdemi èdtan
      three quarters of an hourtwaka èdtan

      Delete