Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, April 5, 2013

Hi! My name is Watson and I was born in haiti in Troufondban, a small village in Montrouis. Have you heard of it? At four years old, I got rescued by a missionary and put into an orphange for two years. Then I got adopted and came into America when I was six years old. I am 19 years old and studying at Anderson University in Indiana to learn how to become a missionary so I can go back and help the people of Haiti. God's put a burden in my heart for my people. Last year, I got a chance to go back and reconnect with my biological family. I hadn't seen them for 13 years! Check out this link to learn more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWs18XOZayo Anyway, my question is what's the quickest way I can learn my native language (haitian creole)? I've been living in America for so long that I've lost it. I'm taking som french classes and have a few friends that can help me now and then, but I don't know how I can really learn creole on my own. What's your advice or what would you do if you were in my situation?

Hi  Watson.  I'm glad you got to go back to Haiti and reconnect with you biological family.  It looks like they were very excited to have you back.
I was born in Port-Au-Prince, but I spent most of my life in Arcahaie, not too far from Montrouis.  Actually we took many trips to the beaches of Montrouis to bathe in the water, and especially to eat some of their spicy grilled carrots and conch.
It's great that you're thinking to give something back to your country.  And, yes, learning Creole will definitely facilitate communication with the people and bonding with your biological family.
Learning Haitian Creole on your own could be challenging.  You will need a guide/instructor/tutor to help with pronunciations, nuances, and learning the "art" of the language.  A good introduction of the language in a class-like setting would probably give you the push that you need.   Have you thought of taking a HAITIAN CREOLE immersion course at Indiana University in the summer?
You can also try an online course with Haitihub.com.
or
If you're really thinking to do this on your own, start with the book Creole Made Easy (with the audios) by Wally Turnbull, and when you're done with that try the Ann Pale Kreyòl (with audios) by Albert Valdman.
And of course, if your friends speak H. Creole, they will provide valuable help when you need to practice speaking the language.

Learning French will help you communicate with French-speaking Haitians in Haiti, but I am not sure how much help it will be, if you're aiming to learn Haitian Creole.  Not everyone in Haiti SPEAK French.

Dakò :)
I wish you strength and spirit.  Hope to meet you in Haiti someday.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment