Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, April 11, 2013

I know that "tap" means "would have". Where does this construction come from? Is it a combination of "ta + ap" or something else? Thank you!

It can be te ap or ta ap

te + ap = past continuous forms

1.
Li t'ap mache byen vit pou l pa ta rate bis la.
He was walking quickly so that he would not miss the bus.

2.
Nou t'ap tann ou.
We were waiting for you.

3. 
M t'ap panse pou m anile kont lan.
I was thinking to cancel the account.


Ta + ap =  conditional statements

4.
Ou t'ap fache avè'm si m pa't pote manje a pou ou.
You would have been mad at me If I didn't bring you the food.

5.
Si w pa't wo konsa, m t'ap fese w atè.
If you weren't that tall, I would have thrown you to the ground.


Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

2 comments:

  1. I love searching on your blog and finding EXACTLY what I need! I knew that t'ap was either past progressive or conditional, but I couldn't figure out how to explain this to another English speaker. Perfect explanation, Mandaly!

    ReplyDelete