Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

"If you see me as a Macoute, then I'm a Macoute. If you see me as gay, I'm gay. What you think of me is no problem, as far as I am concerned. You have the right to think what you want. I know who I am, and that's the main thing."

By "...gay...", do you means "...homosexual..."?
Or did you mean "...a jolly person..."?
I'm translating it here as homosexual. That's what it looks like to me.

"Si w gade m tankou makout, donk se sa mwen ye.  Si w gade m pou masisi donk se sa mwen ye tou.  Annega mwen menm, sa'w panse osijè mwen pa trakase m. Ou gen dwa panse sa w vle.  Mwen konn ki moun mwen ye, e se sa ki enpòtan"

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

4 comments:

  1. How to say jolly person?
    Yes, this was Sweet Mickey's statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a jolly (spirited) person → yon moun ki ge.

      Delete
  2. Isn't "masisi" an insult/negatif word? Is there a way to say "gay" or "homosexual" that's more neutral and doesn't have a negative connotation? Mesi davans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually thought about writing omoseksyèl which is the politically correct term, but I thought the translation called for the word masisi as the author of that phrase seems to be fighting an accusation.
      Other term that people use are pederas, doubsis, desiskole, madoda, .... The term that I usually hear in the streets is masisi.
      I hear the term omoseksyèl more in the church arena.

      Delete