Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Do you have any tips for teaching English to Haitians?

I imagine that a good ESL program comprising of reading, writing, speaking and listening would be helpful.  That's how I learned.
If you look into the ESL programs they have out there, you'll probably find one that will work for you.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

3 comments:

  1. 1. Google Live Action English. These programs can be done with material
    the teacher makes. Students can help choose topics to cover. You act out
    simple things like pretending to cook something, to shop for something,
    or to get ready for a date. You have to read about Live Action English,
    or if I have time later, I may post some more examples, but here's one:
    I made a little flat toy guitar out of cardboard. I used a plastic box
    with a lid as my guitar case. I instructed students to:
    * Open the box.
    * Take out the guitar.
    * Sit down.
    * Tune the guitar.
    etc. till they were pretending to play it, tapping their feet and
    humming.
    These lessons are very popular as you act out the actions, to demonstrate them. The students learn simple words that are part of everyday life, such as: open, take out, etc. Students take turns acting according to the
    instructions and giving the instructions. The same lesson will be repeated
    for three to five classes, to cement in the new vocabulary.

    2. Try my old stand-by Pimsleur: English for Haitian Creole Speakers, a
    program of listening and speaking available on CDs or cassettes. I
    think students develop a clearer pronunciation, with less accent, if
    they spend several months concentrating on listening and speaking,
    BEFORE they start using books. It takes perseverance to keep at it
    with the lessons, working independently. Some people do better in
    a class, with group activities.

    ***Anyone who wants to discuss this fascinating topic with me further, is invited to share their ideas here of course, but also to email me:
    Dory@HaitianMigrantWorkerOutreach.Org
    I'll be teaching an English as a Second Language (ESL) class to migrant workers here in NJ this summer, and I can use all YOUR ideas, too!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your detailed answer!I will check out your website.

      Delete
    2. BONJOU Dory! I like your in-depth comment. Thanks!

      Delete