Listen to and Follow The Podcast at SOUVNI ON THE MIKE with Podcast Transcripts available. Advanced Haitian Creole Learners, you have arrived :). Souvni On The Mike stands as a vibrant cultural beacon in the digital soundscape, offering a weekly immersion into the heart of Haitian language and life. This Haitian Creole podcast transforms the airwaves into a dynamic classroom and cultural salon, where education, entertainment, and community connection converge. Follow the podcast.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I am familiar with 'mouri' (to die), but I am unfamiliar with 'al bwachat'. Could you give me a bit more information on this expression (i.e. its etymology)?

I am not 100% sure.
Other than Al bwachat or al bwa chat and mouri, other commonly used Creole expression for “to die” are:

trepase
Li trepase a minwi tapan. – He died at the stroke of midnight.
Mezanmi! Ede'm. M'ap trepase. - Help me, I'm dying.

ale nan Peyi san chapo
Manman nou kite n. L’al nan peyi san chapo. – Our mom has left us. She died.

fè vwèl pou peyi san chapo
Kamyon an frape misye, li voye l al fè vwèl pou peyi san chapo. – The truck hit him and sent him to his death

kase kòd
Kon minwi sonnen beng malad la kase kòd. - At the stroke of midnight, he kicked the bucket.

rann dènye souf – to give one’s last breath

Li rann dènye souf li. – He gave his last breath
Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment