Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, February 23, 2015

Sometimes when I use "nan" as a preposition for "in", I have been informed that I should use "an" in some situations, but am not understanding when "an" is correct; I probably over use "nan." When should I be using "an" for in? I am having a similar problem with "ki", recently being told by those helping me improve my Creole that in some cases I should use "ke" instead of "ki" for "that", but am not understanding when to use "ke" and probably over use "ki." If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Mesi anpil!

Some instances where “an” may be used as preposition:

Here it means in or from

1.
Mwen fèk sot an Ayiti maten an.
I just came from Haiti this morning.

2.
Mwen te fèt an Giyàn.
I was born in Guyana.

3.
Mwen te ale an Ayiti semèn pase
I went to Haiti last week.

The above sentences can also be used without “an”.
___________________________________
Or sometimes “an” is used to show the order of things.

Li te vini an dènye.
He came in last.

5.
Fè nou pase an premye.
Let us go first.

6.
Fè ti moun yo kanpe an de ran.
Have the kids form two lines.
___________________________

Or

“an” may indicate what something is made of


7. Li fèt an ò (or annò). – It’s made of gold
8. Li fèt an fè (or anfè)  – It’s made of iron
9. Li fèt an asye - It's made of steel
10. Li fèt an bwa (or anbwa) – It’s made of wood
11. Li fèt an plastic – It’s made of plastic

______________________

“an” may indicate in what manner something is done.

12.
L’ap pale avè’m an chèf.
He’s talking to me as if he was my boss.

13. 
Sitiyasyon chanje an kòbòy (Cowboy)
The situation change for the worse (dangerous).

 _______________________

As far as “ki” and “ke” is concerned, you won’t see “ke” that often.  When you do it’s usually used as a conjunction:

14. Mwen te di’l ke m pa't grangou.
     I told her that I was not hungry.


15. Mesye ke ou te wè a se te papa m.
      The man that you saw was my father.

16. Nou te espere ke legliz te gentan fin konstwi.
     We had hoped that the construction of the church was completed.

And ... the above sentences will work fine without “ke”
_____________________________

And “ki” would be use as pronoun:

17. Moun ki dwe pa janm dòmi anpè.
      People who have debts never sleep peacefully

18. Fanm ki konn travay jaden p'ap janm dòmi grangou.
      Women who know how to farm will never go to bed hungry

19. Gason ki twò brav se nan simityè yo abite.

      Men who are too gutsy live in the cemetery.

20. Timoun ki derespektan pa viv lontan.
      Kids that are discourteous don't live long.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment