Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, June 19, 2015

Toufe pitit la ....

"Hi Mandaly, I love your blog. I have a question. I just had a baby and my Haitian mother-in-law tells me all the time "toufe piti la" and "se zye li ki pou deyo". My husband tells me that she wants me to keep the baby hidden. is there more to this?"

She is trying to tell you to wrap the child in layettes snugly (from head to toe) so that all one could see is the baby eyes and hopefully his nose too!
Some Haitians (in Haiti) keep their baby indoors for weeks to a couple of months after birth. If a fanm say (midwife) makes the well-child visit at home, that baby may not get to see the light of day for a couple of months.

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment