Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Exercise 37 - Doing the Laundry

Hello everyone,

Have you listened to a Haitian Creole song today?
Have you listened to a Haitian radio program today?
Have you sung hummed a Haitian Creole song today?

well, keep listening...

My washing machine is broken today. I had to wash some of my kid's school clothes by hand today. It was only about seven pieces of clothing thank God! And it's a good thing that my dryer is working.
I remember when I was in Haiti I used to go to the river every Saturday with a humongous pile of clothes (mine and my siblings'). I'd wash these clothes by hand, spread them over a pile of rocks, and wait an excruciating two hours for them to dry in the sun. Then I'd fold'em, pack'em and bring them back home. I hated to wash my brothers' pairs of Jeans.
When my mom first traveled to the USA in 1975 she complained that the washing machine wasn't doing as good a job as she could do by hands. She still washed most of her clothes by hand.
It is good to live in the USA. When I first traveled here I was thankful for electricity. I couldn't believe we had electricity 24/7. In Haiti we had electricity a couple hours during the day and maybe for about an hour at night. Some people did not have electricity at all. So at night, during exam times, when the lights came on you could see groups of students gathered under each street light poles studying in the dim lights. My cousin, Michel, was in law school. I remember his nightly trip to the light pole. He is now a judge in Aux Cayes, South of Haiti.

CHOOSE THE BEST POSSIBLE ANSWER.

1. How many pieces of clothing did I wash by hand today?
a. senk
b. sèt
c. sis

2. Where did I go wash my clothes in Haiti?
a. nan rivyè a
b. nan lanmè a
c. nan sous la

3. On what day was the laundry done in Haiti?
a. Vandredi
b. Samdi
c. Jedi

4. How were the clothes dried?
a. Sou yon pye bwa
b. Sou tèt yon machin
c. Sou yon pil ròch

5. The Haitian Creole translation for 24/7 is
a. vennkat sou sèt
b. sèt sou sèt
c. vennkat sou vennkat

6. Where did some students study at night during exam times?
a. Anba yon poto limyè
b. Nan yon magazen
c. Nan yon bato

7. Why were some students studying under a light pole?
a. yo pa te gen kay
b. yo pa te gen limyè
c. yo pa te gen liv

8. What was Michel studying?
a. Lwa
b. Edikasyon
c. medsin

9. What is Michel's profession now?
a. doktè
b. pwofesè
c. jij

10. In which part of Haiti does Michel live now?
a. Sid
b. Nò
c. Lwès

No comments:

Post a Comment