Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Exercise 39 - We're Singing a song (Deklarasyon)

Bonjou tout moun! Good morning everyone!
Mwen kontan jodi a. I am happy today!

I am excited to work on our first audio exercise. yay!
I have been asking you to listen to the Haitian radios and the Creole news.
But today I am glad to bring you a Haitian Creole song you can listen to. Follow the link from the Audio/Video Resources on the left column of the screen, choose Declaration of Love. Or, you may click on this blog's title. That's the one we're doing today. Please listen to it, as many times as you have to so you can sing along too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzxIVqWMaY
Singing along might help you tremendously as you are then speaking/singing the words. It'll also give you a chance to hear people speak/sing these words.

After you are done singing, please come back to these exercises as we will be translating and looking at the sentence construction.

See you later.___________________________________

Song and its translation and exercises.1. Nan tout deklarasyon damou - In all declaration of love2. gen konpliman - there are compliments3. genyen pwomès - there are promises4. gen gason k' pale dous kon vlou - there are men who speak as soft as velvet5. genyen k'ofri ou la richès - there are some who offer you riches6. mwen menm lang mwen pa two leje - as for me my tongue is not light7. bousèt mwen vid - my purse is empty8. pòch mwen gen twou - my pocket has a hole9. men kwè m si ou vle - but believe me if you want10.sa pa vle di - that doesn't mean10.5 m pa gen anyen pou m ofri - I have nothing to offer11.Si w vle tande - if you want to listen
(women's voice):
12. Men ki kote na prale? - but where are we going?13. ki mòd chemen sa ye? - what kind of a road is this?14. se pa bann nat ou fè - it's not that you make straw mattresses15. ou vle pou m ale fè - and you want me so I can make them16. men si se pa sa w bezwen - but if that's not what you need17. Eske ou wè nan mwen - do you see in me18. yon kanmarad ak yon zanmi? - a comrade and a friend?
(Men's voice)
19. Ban mwen la men- Give me your hand20. an nou mache - let's walk21. an nou pran chemen libète - let's take the road of freedom22. yon rout ki bèl - a road that is beautiful23. ki laj ase - that is large enough24. pou se kòt a kòt nou mache- so we can walk side by side25. Se pa yon bònn map anplwaye - it's not a servant I am employing26. se pa on esklav mape chache - it's not a slave I am looking for27. m vle yon konpay - I want a companion28. yon kanmarad ak yon zanmi - a comrade and a friend


29. Lè n gen pwoblèm - when we have problems30. na va pale - we'd talk31. na diskite - we'd discuss32. kon de zanmi - like two friends33. pape gen yon moun pou kòmande - there won't be one person to command34. Avèk yon lòt pou obeyi - and one to obey35. konsa pitit nou va grandi - this way our kids would grow36. ya remake depi yo piti - they'd remark37. mwen ba ou men lè ou bite -I give you a hand when you fail38. men se sou ou tou mwen konte - but i count on you39. lè pye m chape - when I fail
_____________________________________________________
GRAMMAR EXERCISES

1. In lines 4 and 5, what Haitian Creole word does k' stand for. And what does is mean?

2. Based on Lines #2, 3, 4, and 5, how would you say, "There are girls who speak soft."

3. According to line 4, the Creole word for velvet is ___________________

4. According to lines 7 and 8, how would you say, "My pocket is empty."

5. Based on line 10.5, "I have nothing." is translated in Haitian Creole as:_____________________________

6. What does the w in line 11 stand for? What does it mean?

7. Based on line 20 and 21, how would you say, "Let's eat."

8. Based on line 24, the Haitian Creole word for, "Side by side" is____________________.

9. According to lines 25 and 26 how would you translate, "it's not a boy, it's a girl."?

10. What is the Haitian Creole word for friend?

11.What does the "n" in line 29 stands for? What does it mean?

12.What does the "na" in lines 30 and 31 stand for? what does it mean?

1 comment:

  1. Visit me www.triplem7.com i got i song i need help
    with.

    ReplyDelete