Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Prepositions: AT, TO, ON, IN

AT
Use the Haitian Creole words "nan" or "kay/lakay" in places where you used "at" for directions and locations.
Example:
1. I am at school. - Mwen nan lekòl la.

2. I am at the party. - Mwen nan fèt la.

3. We are at the concert. - Nou nan konsè a.

4. I am at a crossroad. - Mwen nan yon kafou.

5. I'm at the doctor's - Mwen kay Doktè.

6. I'm at my mom's - Mwen kay manman m.

7. They are at the inauguration . - Yo nan inogirasyon an.

8. Turn at the curb and go through the gates.
    Vire nan koub la, e antre nan baryè a.

9.  I saw her at the funeral. - Mwen te wè li nan antèman an.

10. It happened at the worst time. - Sa rive nan pi move moman an.


Use the Haitian Creole "a" when telling time and asking questions with "at". 
Examples
1. At what time are you coming? - A kilè wap vini?

2. At five.  - A senkè.

3. At what temperature? - A ki tanperati?

4. At what age? - A ki laj?

To
The preposition "to" is dropped in sentences that involve directions and locations, and infinitive clauses.
1. I will go to mexico - M prale Meksik.

2. I'm going to church - M prale legliz.

3. I hope to see you . - M espere wè w.

4. I tried to talk. - M eseye pale.

You may also use Haitian Creole word "nan"  to translate preposition "to" in places where you could also use "at".
1. I'm going to church - M prale nan legliz la.

2. She went to the party. - Li ale nan fèt la.

3. I am going to my Mom's. - M prale kay manman m


Use Haitian Creole word "a",  when using phrases such as: "from... to..."
1. From my dad to my mom. - De papa m a manman m.

2. From me to you. - De mwen menm a ou menm.

3. From John to Stacy. - De John a Stacy.

ON
The Haitian Creole word "sou"  usually translates the preposition "on".
Examples;
1. The letter is on the table. - Lèt la sou tab la.

2. Sit on this chair. - Chita sou chèz sa.

3. Put this dress on. - Mete rad sa sou ou.

In
The Haitian Creole word "nan", or "anndan" usually translates the proposition "in"
Examples:
1. She lives in a box. - Li rete nan yon bwat.

2. Put the books in your bag. - Mete liv yo nan valiz ou a.

3. In what year where you born? - Nan ki ane ou te fèt?

4.  In what month? - Nan ki mwa?

5.  You're in trouble. - Ou nan problèm.

Also see other preposition exercises at the following links:
Preposition to
prepositions at, in, from

No comments:

Post a Comment