Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Contractions: Contracting the Haitian Creole object pronouns "mwen, ou, li, nou"

In Haitian Creole you may contract the object pronoun if the word that precedes it ends with a vowel (nasal or non nasal vowels included)

Examples:
1. Leave me.
You may say: Kite mwen. or Kite m.

2. Write to me.
You may say: Ekri mwen. or Ekri m.

3. Kiss me.
You may say: Bo mwen. or Bo m.

*4. Talk to me.
You may say:  Pale avè mwen.   or  Pale avè m.

5. Look at her.
You may say: Gade li. or Gade l.

6. Walk under it.
You may say:  Pase anba li.  or  Pase anba l.

7. Save us.
You may say: Sove nou. or Sove n.

8. Turn it on.
You may say: Limen li. or Limen l.

9. I hear you. 
You may say: Mwen tande ou. or Mwen tande w.

10. Bring it back.
You may say: Retounen li. or Retounen l.

11. Give me one.
You may say: Ban mwen youn. or Ban m youn.

12. Give him one.
You may say: Ba li youn. or Ba l youn.

13. I was here before you.
You may say: Mwen te la anvan ou.   or  Mwen te la anvan w.


But if the word that precede the pronoun ends with a consonant, do not use contractions.

Examples:
1. I understand you.
Mwen konprann ou. (Do not say: Mwen konprann w.)

2. They beat her.
Yo bat li. (Do not say: Yo bat l.)

*Look back to example #4 above. There are three ways to say the word "with" in Creole: ak, avè, & avèk.  See how a contraction may follow the word "avè" (in number 4 above), but not "ak" and "avèk" (in number 3 below).  That's because the words "ak" and "avèk" end with a consonant.

*3. Talk to me.
Pale avèk mwen. (Do not say: Pale avèk m)

4. He's waiting for me. 
L'ap tann mwen. (Do not say: L'ap tann m.)

5. We submitted it.
Nou remèt li. (Do not say: Nou remèt l.)

6. I survived it.
Mwen siviv li. (Do not say: Mwen siviv l.)


* In the next four examples, you will see that we do not use contracted pronouns after the prep: nan, *pou, san, sou.
7. This is for you.
Sa se pou ou.  (Do not say:  Sa se pou w.)

8. I'm going without you.
Mwen prale san ou. (Do not sayMwen prale san w.)

9. Put your hand on it.
Mete men w sou li. (Do not say:  Mete men w sou l.)

10. Believe in Him.
Kwè nan li. (Do not say: Kwè nan l.)

*There's one instance when Creole speakers may have a contracted pronoun after the preposition "pou".  This would be when "pou" is used as conjunction and is equivalent to: "in order to", "so that" "to" "due to".

1.  Call me so that we can talk.
     Rele m pou n ka pale. (you may contract the pronoun that comes after "pou" if you wish)

2.  Open the door so that I may enter.
     Ouvè pòt la pou m ka rantre.

3.  In other to be saved, you must believe in Him.
     Pou w sove, fòk ou kwè nan Li.

4. He needs to wear his glasses to drive.
    Li bezwen mete linèt li pou l kondui.

5.  Turn up the volume  so I can hear.
     Monte volim nan pou m ka tande.

6. I will ask her to do this for me.
    Ma mande l pou l fè sa pou mwen.
Other Creole contractions

1 comment:

  1. Bonjou! So you’re saying you can’t say for example: Eske m ka tounen Vandredi? Oubyen: m ta renmen vizite w deman?

    ReplyDelete