Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Is "anmède" an appropriate word in nice company?

Sure.

There's nothing vulgar about it.
It does have a slight similarity to "nan mèd" which is a vulgar expression.
The pronunciation is different too.

anmède (v.) → to bother, to inconvenience, to irritate, to badger
anmèdan (n.) → bully, teaser, jokester, pain in the neck

Poukisa w'ap anmède m konsa?
Why are you giving me such a headache?

Mwen pat vle travay pandan sezon fèt la, men patwon mwen anmède m jiskaske mwen asepte.
I didn't want to work during the holidays, but my boss nagged me until I said yes.

Pa pran li oserye. Li se yon anmèdan.
Don't take him seriously. He's a teaser.

Other Creole synonyms for anmède (v.) are:  annniye, trakase, anbete, takinen, fann nan kò, pèsekite

No comments:

Post a Comment