Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

I see that sometimes the word "to" is translated as "bay" which is the verb to give.

That happens sometimes when some verbs are followed by the preposition "to". That word "to" is then translated as "bay" or "pou":

Examples:
Bring it to me.
Pote l *ban mwen. (uncontracted)
Pote l ban m. (contracted)
or
Pote l pou mwen. *(no contraction after "pou" when it indicates possession)

Read the book to her.
Li liv la ba li.
or
Li liv la pou li.

Send them to me.
Voye yo ban mwen
or
Voye yo pou mwen.

Return it to them.
Retounen li ba yo.

She came crying to me.
Li vin kriye ban mwen.

Explain it to them.
Eksplike l ba yo.

Let me hear it. Sing it to me.
Kite m tande l. Chante l ban mwen.

No comments:

Post a Comment